If you are a school leader or someone looking for advice on how to bring superb speakers to your school or to add a student-centered US national history project to your program, be sure to give history teacher Mark Johnson a call. Or at least ; maybe even a tweet.
Mark Johnson is a US History teacher at Concordia International School Shanghai and a leader in bringing the U.S. National History Day program to Asia. NHD empowers students as historians through their History Day program. It takes the best parts of Social Studies education (analysis, critical thinking, problem solving, creative synthesis) and incorporates these elements into project-based learning that can fit into any History classroom.
Mark Johnson has taught at Concordia International School for eight years where he started National History Day in international schools. Since then, the growth of NHD internationally has been rapid and widespread.
Mark was the 2013 21st Century Learning teacher of the year.
Mark’s Other Awards
- Christa McAuliffe Reach for the Stars Award, National Council for the Social Studies, 2013-2014
- Love of Learning Award, The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2013
- Charles Redd Center K-12 Teaching Western History Award, 2012 & 2013
- HISTORY Channel Award for Service, 2012
- James M. Becker Award for Global Understanding, National Council for the Social Studies, 2011
- Holocaust Educator of the Year, Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center, 2006-2007
Connect with Mark
- Twitter: @BigSkyHistory
- Linked in: Mark Johnson
- Website: MontanaChinese.org